- This event has passed.
The [CANCELED] Power of Contact: Foundations of Mindful Somatic Bodywork
April 18 @ 9:00 am - April 19 @ 4:00 pm
$300 (Save $50 off the total tuition when you register for this workshop and the Embodied Ethics workshop! Use the discount code from the email or contact the Registrar for the required coupon code before registering. Tuition total after discount for both workshops is $350)
3% fee for PayPal payments (via debit or credit card).
CEU: 12 CE for LMTs. No NBCC CE Available
Presented by: Nova Knutson, CHP, LMT
Location: 4531 SE Belmont St, Suite 300 Portland, OR 97215
About this Workshop:
Numerous studies in the helping professions have shown that clients make better progress when they feel their therapist is emotionally attuned and connected with them. In some studies, relationship has been shown to have a stronger impact on client healing than training, experience or modality.
Harnessing the power of connection in our work is good for our clients and our practices. When clients experience a felt sense of human connection with their practitioners, the benefit of the work extends into deeper layers of the person. Ultimately this has the potential to soften long held body/mind armoring, freeze states and the embodied psycho-emotional tensions that are far deeper than we can reach with even the deepest pressure. When we contact our clients on these many levels, our work has the potential to deeply matter to our clients’ lives.
Some of the ways to create this sense of connection with your clients might surprise you. Energetic factors such as loving presence and intention are important, but there are also specific actions you can take help your clients experience the felt-sense that you are with them. These are learnable skills that will help you create relationships that are truly therapeutic to our clients on many levels.
In this exciting two-day experiential workshop, students will:
- Experience M.E.T.A. Integrative Bodywork’s unique whole-person approach to learning and to manual therapies.
- Learn foundational theory and skills drawn from the science of the human attachment system.
- Practice key M.E.T.A. techniques that you can use with your clients right away to help make your work more impactful in your clients’ lives.
- Begin to develop advanced verbal skills drawn from Hakomi Mindful Somatic Therapy to make your sessions more relational and emotionally relevant.
- Explore the ethical guidelines for creating safe and effective therapeutic relationships.
- Apply these concepts to yourself through direct experience and thereby grow your capacity for deep connection both in and out of your treatment room.
M.E.T.A. Integrative Bodywork offers increased depth and richness to the practice of bodywork and energy-work. We teach body-practitioners the skills to safely and comfortably engage the whole person on the table. Whether you are new to these concepts or a seasoned practitioner, this class will help you deepen the impact and potential of your work with clients.
Nova Knutson, LMT, CHP, a Portland-based counselor and bodyworker with over 20 years in practice, is the creator and teacher of META’s Integrative Bodywork Program. She is a strong believer in the power of body and energy work to impact clients in ways that are meaningful and important. Nova teaches with enthusiasm, kindness, and humor and is honored and delighted to share this work with hands-on-practitioners of all kinds.
This class can be taken in conjunction with Friday’s Embodied Ethics at a discounted rate.